Many people think prenuptial agreements are just for the very rich. But in reality, they are for any couple that is thinking ahead.
People are marrying younger today than ever, with little understanding of the responsibilities and decisions ahead of them. And with many people marrying for a second or third time, the prenuptial agreement is a powerful way to map out these future challenges and decide how to approach them. The lawyers of McGill & Rodgers Attorneys and Counselors at Law have drafted successful prenuptial agreements for many Oklahoma couples.
Asset Protection for the Future
A prenuptial agreement is a contract of understanding you create with your soon-to-be spouse, spelling out the material expectations of the marriage. The contract puts in writing exactly what belongs to whom, and who must do what. These are just some of the questions that need to be asked:
- What are each side's debts and assets?
- Which assets will be shared, and which will be kept separate?
- Who is responsible for paying prior debts?
- Which assets are exclusive to one person?
- What is the responsibility to children from previous marriages?
- Who is responsible for costs like college?
- Who pays the bills?
- How will you file tax returns?
- Who will manage the couple's money, and how?